Ashley Jessup (24) of Columbus, Ohio was arraigned September 2011 on 4 counts of sexual abuse against her infant son. She allegedly videotaped herself in sexual acts with the 10-month-old and sent the film via email to her boyfriend in Battle Creek, Michigan. Her bail has been set at $1 million.
The charges are:
- two counts of rape -first degree felony
- one count of child endangerment
- one count of pandering sexually-oriented material involving a minor.
Jessup and her boyfriend had been exchanging sexually explicit material, and she claims her boyfriend told her to take the videos of the baby and send them to him. The emails were found by the boyfriend’s ex-girlfriend, who alerted the police.
Possible penalties for conviction
- Rape of a child less than 13 years of age: Felony of the first degree: 15 years to life
- Child Endangerment: (Definition: Entice, coerce, permit, encourage, compel, hire, employ, use, or allow the child to act, model, or in any other way participate in, or be photographed for, the production, presentation, dissemination, or advertisement of any material or performance that the offender knows or reasonably should know is obscene, is sexually oriented matter, or is nudity-oriented matter): Felony of the second degree: up to 8 years
- Pandering sexually-oriented material involving a minor: (Definition: Create, record, photograph, film, develop, reproduce, or publish any material that shows a minor participating or engaging in sexual activity, masturbation, or bestiality) felony of the second degree: up to 8 years
No charges have been filed on Jessup’s boyfriend, but an investigation is under way.
Jessup’s child has been placed in protective custody.